Board Meeting Summary for 9/9/2019
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
FARMINGTON CENTRAL COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT #265
September 9, 2019
Farmington Central High School Research Center
310 N. Lightfoot Road - Farmington, IL. 61531
- The Board acknowledged the FCJH “Be Nice” recipients. The school’s theme this year is “Be Nice” and the following students went above and beyond expectations: 6th Grade – Lexi Joplin and Ethan Martin; 7th Grade – Jade Bragg and Zach Benton; and 8th Grade – Shayleigh Thompson and Collin Behrens.
- Clean Energy Solutions representative Steven Smith presented on the 750kW solar area expansion going in on the eastern portion of campus. Work will begin later this month or early next month with a completion date no later than early November.
- Board Action
- Updates to board policy book
- The auditorium updates were discussed. Funds from the bonds issued last year along with sales tax monies and tort liability funds have been and will be used to pay for the project. The auditorium received new lighting, paint, carpet, seating, hand rails, and acoustic boards.
- Midwest Construction Professionals presented the softball concessions/restroom build bids. The estimated cost of the project is just under $480,000. All bids were accepted except the asphalt bid. Construction will start soon in order for the building to be in operation prior to the spring softball season.
- The district goals were established with target areas being community-district relations, student achievement, and district finances.
- Jeff Ossman - Custodial Maintenance Support 1
- Rick Workman - Custodial Maintenance Support 2
- Brad Whitcomb - Head FCHS Girls Basketball
- Nicole Lettow & Caitlyn Clayton - Co JH Student Council
- Susan Gibbs - Freshman Class Sponsor
- Lilybeth Mendez - Sophomore Class Sponsor
- FFA Volunteers - Laurel Plumer-Keyt, Antoni Bochniak, Calvin Plum, Rick Schreffler, Eric and Jennifer Stanley
- Golf - Abigail Simaytis
- Music Boosters - Jason Archdale, Melissa Asbury, Brenda Barrett, Clark Evans, Anthony and Angela Fryxell, Julie and Jeff Gilles, Jeanette Kurth, Lucas and Katie Lynn, Annette Marinich, Christopher and Julie Mowen, Niles Parr, Rick Riccioni, Curt Stevens, Jay Ulm and Anthony Whisenand
- JH Cheerleading - Emily Barnett
- Theatre - Kirsten Seeley
- Resignations - Tamara Clark (HS Sponsor), Melissa Petermeyer (HS Sponsor), Lori Vallas (JH Newspaper), Caitlyn Clayton (1/2 Asst JH Student Council)
- Transfer - Paige Burkland (Freshman sponsor to Sophomore sponsor)
- Committee Reports for Curriculum Committee, Labor Management, Positive Community Committee, and Building and Grounds were given.
- Mr. McMillin and Mr. Lambert gave an update on the possibility of a senior trip to Florida. Currently there is some interest but not enough to start signing contracts. A final decision regarding the feasibility will be made in the coming month.
- Board members shared their positive takeaways from the board retreat that was held last week. The overwhelming consensus was communication was key for success. One example was that when future enhancements are being considered within the high school, that the fine arts and FFA be a part of the discussion.
- Mr. Uptmor presented to the board on the possiblity of taking a group of teachers to the national middle levels conference in Nashville.
- There was preliminary discussion regarding the district's approach to addressing winter conditions on campus. The possiblity of leasing a skid steer for sidewalk clearing is being explored.
- We adjourned around 8:34 p.m. with a relatively small crowd.